I live in a house with runners, so bananas are always on the grocery list. But they also were the source of a kitchen mystery. No matter how many bananas I bring home there are ALWAYS three left. I started only buying four at a time and still three were left to get over ripe. I was sooo confused. I finally just ask my husband what was going on. His reply…doesn’t it take three bananas to make banana bread?
Yummy Banana Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the bananas, coconut and pineapple.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. (Or you can make the yummiest loaf of banana bread by using a greased loaf pan. You will need to increase baking time!)
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 2 dozen.